Friday, April 1, 2011

Turku

Turku is one of two European Cultural Capitals for 2011, the other being Tallinn, Estonia, which is practically Finland. Turku has a well-developed suite of programs for its language minority students. More details on that when I start pulling my research together. In the meantime, please enjoy some photos.


Meeting with the Multicultural Education coordinator.


Fourth graders practice their play.


Full-time teachers teach 20 lessons/week.


Beautful cathedral in Turku.


Follow this river to the Baltic Sea.

N.B.
Two people have commented that Estonians probably don't link to be characterized as "practically Finland." I wrote that poorly, and was thinking only about the proximity of Tallinn to Finland. (Tallinn is much closer to Helsinki than Turku is to Helsinki.) I just got a chance to visit Tallinn, which is worlds different than Finland. I also had the presumption that Estonian is very close to Finnish, and upon seeing and hearing Estonian, I was able to perceive the noticeable differences.

2 comments:

Ave said...

Estonia, which is practically Finland - can NOT agree!

Kate said...

Two people have commented that Estonians probably don't link to be characterized as "practically Finland." I wrote that poorly, and was thinking only about the proximity of Tallinn to Finland. (Tallinn is much closer to Helsinki than Turku is to Helsinki.) I just got a chance to visit Tallinn, which is worlds different than Finland. I also had the presumption that Estonian is very close to Finnish, and upon seeing and hearing Estonian, I was able to perceive the noticeable differences.