Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hello William Walker ES -Greetings from Finland!

Hello William Walker Elementary School! I am writing to you from Tampere, Finland. Tampere is Finland's third largest city. Right now it is covered in snow. Here is a picture that I took on a walk last weekend. Everything is white (or grey).



In Tampere today, the sun will rise at 9:29 am and sets at 3:38 pm. So, how many hours of daylight will I have today? It's 7:30am now, still hours away from sunrise.

Even during the day, it is quite dark here. I haven't yet seen the sun in Finland.

Let me tell you how I got here. On January 4th, I left Portland and flew to New Jersey. An hour later I left New Jersey and flew to Munich, Germany. That flight took almost nine hours. Finally, I flew from Munich, Germany to Helsinki, Finland.




Then I took a train to Tampere, which took an hour and forty-five minutes.

Tampere is the largest inland Scaninavian city. This means that it's is the largest city in the countries of Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Iceland that is not located on the coast. There are about 215,000 people here. That's about twice the size of Beaverton, I think.


I live in a small apartment in an apartment building in town. I can walk wherever I need to go. But I dress up in warm clothes before I go anywhere. Here are a few pictures from my walk today:





Next time I will show you the university where I am working and the really cool machines they have in town to remove snow. Let me know what else you would like to know about Finland. I will try to find out. I am learning a little each day, but still have quite a lot to learn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
We miss you at William Walker but are glad that you are experiencing a new and exciting life in Finland. Thanks for sharing a part of your new world. Look forward to learning more about Finland and what life is like so far away.
Stay warm,
Cathi

Anonymous said...

Hello Ms. Yocum,

Below are a few unedited questions and that your William Walker 5th grade students asked me to pass along to you.

From Jaileh and Luis C.
Is it hot or cold in Finland?
Do you miss my whining? Please say yes.
What is it like in Finland?

From Junior
What are you doing in Finland?
What does it look like in Finland?

From Alexandra
How are you?
I miss you.

From Jessica A. and Jessica V.
What do the people wera and what do they eat?

From Luis S.
How are you doing in Finland?
Good luck.

From Lucy
What are some things you see in Finland?

From Karishma
How was the trip to Finland?